A child requires a balanced diet for the overall development of the body. Any food component in excess causes various abnormalities in a child. Expert doctors agree that children need food from all the major food groups to grow properly and stay healthy. Too much carbohydrates, sugar, and savory foods, and starches can cause tooth decay. The persistent presence of carbohydrates remain on the teeth is the main culprit that leads to tooth decay. A plague is a thin, invisible, sticky, film of bacteria and other materials. It covers all the surfaces of one’s teeth. Sugar or starch are the first thing that comes in the mouth’s comes in contact with the plague, acid forms, and these acids can attack the teeth after one finishes the food. Repeated attack on the teeth breaks the enamel of the teeth and causes sensitivity, and further leading to tooth decay. Mostly, all the top schools in Greater Noida, have regular dental check-ups organized especially for preschoolers.
The food to avoid
- Sugary Beverages: Soda, juices, and other sugar-rich drinks should be consumed less, as the sugar can linger on the teeth and promote cavity formation. Regular milk that we consume in daily life and chocolate milk contains sugar, so even they should be consumed in moderate amounts. The parents should ask the child to consume water in excess, as it is good for the dental health of the child.
- Snacks are high in sugar, starch, and carbohydrates: As chips and other snacks are excessively consumed by children, the lengthy stay of the leftover cookies, cakes, candies on and around the teeth can cause tooth decay. More time should be taken between the teeth so that saliva can get time to clean the mouth from the left of the food last consumed. The parents should encourage the child to brush after snacking, as it can reduce the chances of tooth decay comprehensively.
- Sticky and chewy foods: The candies such as the jellybeans, gummies, caramels, and lollipops can stick to teeth long after they have been consumed. These sticky and chewy foods become difficult for saliva to wash away. Honey, molasses, and syrups coat the teeth, allowing the sugar to feed bacteria and promote plague development.
- Acidic fruits and drinks: citrus fruits and tomatoes contain acid that can wear away tooth enamel if consumed too frequently. Consuming acidic food and drinks with other foods as parts of a meal will minimize the acid and protect the teeth.
Food to eat
- Raw fruits and vegetables: Crunchy fruits and vegetables help to stimulate the gums and clean the teeth by removing bacteria during the chewing process. These foods promote saliva production which washes away food particles and bacteria that adhere to the teeth. These foods include melons, cucumber, celery, apples, and pears.
- Calcium-rich foods: Low-fat cheese, milk, and yogurt as well as broccoli, contains high levels of calcium which strengthens enamel. Cheese is known for raising pH levels in the mouth which reduces the risk of cavities.
- Leafy and green vegetables: Vegetables such as spinach and kale are high in calcium, which strengthens tooth enamel, and other vitamins and minerals which promote oral health.
- Protein: Lean meats, nuts, and low-sugar peanut butter are excellent sources of protein that strengthens tooth enamel. Almonds are a great choice as they are low in sugar and contain both calcium and protein.
Cambridge School Greater Noida is among the best schools in Greater Noida. At our school, we believe in the overall development of a child for which we give equal importance to physical exercise along with academics. Parents searching for Cambridge school near me can now apply for nursery admission at our school for the session 2022-2023. Register today