How to Combat Depression In Children
Depression is a world-known phenomenon and every individual have faced it at one or another point in his life. Some are able to get out of it alone or with the help of a doctor and the rest keep suffering from it. Depression has always been associated with an adult, ignoring the fact that even children are suffering from depression nowadays.
Depression in children is different from that of an adult. In the case of children small nuances might reflect about their depression, for example, if a child is sad, that doesn’t mean he/she is depressed but if the sadness persists or interferes with their normal behavior, social activities, interests, schoolwork or family life, then it may signify that they have a depressive illness. In the case of children, it becomes extremely difficult to identify depression because a child might exhibit masked depression, where a child’s depressed mood can be evidenced by acting out. Children of younger age might display sadness or low mood similar to adults who are depressed. Mostly, the top schools Greater Noida have a psychologist at the campus in order to help children that suffer from depression.
Symptoms of depression in children
- Anger and crankiness can be very easily noticeable symptoms.
- Social withdrawal is another important symptom common among kids
- Persistent feeling of sadness and hopelessness
- Too much crying or vocal outburst can be notified as a symptom in younger children
- Trouble in concentrating at school
- Regular feeling of fatigue and low energy
- Being extremely sensitive to rejection
- Trouble during events and activities at home or with friends, in school, during, extracurricular activities, and with other hobbies or interests.
- Most kids with significant depression will display noticeable changes in social activities, loss of interest in school, poor academic performance, or a change in appearance.
- Getting exposed to drugs, alcohol, at an age of 12-14.
Cause of depression in children
- Getting exposed to alcohol or drugs in childhood is a very common reason why children develop depression.
- The environment at home plays a very significant role in the behavior of the children and a prolonged unpleasant environment at home leads to depression.
- If any adult in the family is suffering from depression, then that affects the children at home as well and they are then gradually exposed to depression.
- Any form of physical illness or any prolonged disease can be stated as a very common factor in the development of depression in children.
- Unfortunate incidences happen with every individual, if the child suffers any stressful life event, then they might develop sadness and prolonged sadness can lead to depression.
CTreatment of depression in children
The modes of treatment in children are similar to that of an adult but one can’t give nay medicine to the child until a professional doctor recommends it.
- Psychotherapy: In common terms, psychotherapy can be referred to as counseling. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is a form of psychotherapy that can treat anxiety or depression in children. CBT helps children learn to think more positively and control negative behaviors.
- Medication: Antidepressants that are used in the case of children are selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. These medications increase the level of serotonin in the brain that increases the feelings of happiness and well-being.
Cambridge School Greater Noida is among the best C.B.S.E schools in Greater Noida. At our school, we believe in the overall development of a child for which we give equal importance to physical exercise along with academics. Nursery admission in Greater Noida is now open, for nursery admission at our school for the session 2022-2023.